Monday, May 18, 2009

Potty Training 101

For nearly a year now we have had a toilet or 2 in the house, and have asked Z if he wants to sit there. He would when he was younger, and every once in a blue moon pooped on the toilet. He did this more when my in-laws were watching him. He maybe pooped over there for THEM about 5 times in the past year. Lately, he has completely refused when I asked him if he wanted to sit on the toilet. So, I didn't push it! I have always heard that child-led potty training was most successful so I waited, and waited, and waited.

Yesterday we woke up and went to breakfast. When we got home Ivy and Brian took a nap. I checked Zayden's diaper to see if needed to be changed and noticed it was bone dry. He hadn't gone in over 2 hours.....I knew this was a sign of "readiness", so I thought hmmmm maybe.

I told him he could watch a tv show if he sat on the toilet, and he agreed. He watched tv for 30 minutes while sitting on the toilet but nothing happened. He then got up and started playing. I didn't put back on his diaper, and I decided right then and there that this was IT. I was going to start potty training right then and there! I'm over changing his diaper! Forget child-led, we are going to try naked training....just try. If it doesn't work and backfires, at least I tried.

I kept asking him to sit on the toilet like every 5 seconds. For the first time ever he seemed somewhat cooperative with this. Finally he sat down and squeezed a few drops out. I cheered and he seemed a little shocked. I kept cheering him on, and he squeezed out a few more drops. He stopped and looked at me as I jumped up and down and screamed (waking up the nappers), and he would squeeze out a few more drops. It was all very exciting! ;) That first time he probably got a good tablespoon or 2 out, but we went and flushed it down the toilet and I rewarded him with a new "guy". Last weekend I went garage sale shopping and bought a bunch of "guys" for a penny each! Perfect!! We woke up daddy and he cheered some more for us, and then I informed daddy of our new plan for the day.

About 30 minutes later I was in the kitchen getting lunch ready and on the phone taking a survey about vaccines. I then heard Brian say "Do you have to go? Hold on! Hold on! Let's sit on the toilet" *pause* And then "Yay, you are doing it! You are going pee pee on the potty!" And then when I went into the living room both boys were cheering and excited, and Z had really filled up the pot this time! Brian had said that he was looking at Zayden and a drop hit Zayden's leg, and then he looked at Brian all big eyed, and that's when Brian rushed him to the potty.

The rest of the day he did really well! He pottied 3 more times on there! One time he went over on his own while Brian and I were talking and just sat and went! That was super exciting! Before bed he pooped twice. I think he got so excited when he squeezed the first turd out that he stopped mid-poop to jump around and cheer and get his reward. He had to go back a little later and poop again....or maybe that was a tactic to get TWO guys for one poop! ;)

I had to make a run to the store to get some more prizes. Thank goodness for Target's dollar bins! I also found a 25 piece pirate thing for 12 dollars. So he can have one piece at a time of that for using the potty. This is working and overall I'll save money on diapers, so I am going with it!

Yesterday we had NO accidents at all! I was so thrilled, proud, excited, and mostly shocked by how well he did with it! I hope yesterday wasn't a fluke and he'll continue to impress!

Oddly, I kind of find this potty training fun. Maybe once I am cleaning up poop off the carpet or I am dealing with regression I will change my mind, but for now it's fun!

5 comments:

Jacque said...

Way to go, Z! I love two guys for one poop. LOL! I hope today goes just as well.

The Carrels said...

Yeah! :) Isn't it amazing how excited we can get over pee in the potty! ?!?!?

Stephanie said...

Yeah for Zayden! I too potty trained Josie on a whim and just informed Paul of what we were doing. I was at the dollar store a lot getting prizes, its very exciting not to have to change big kid diapers!

SaRaH said...

Way to go, Zayden!!!!!

Layla and Delia said...

Way to go, Zayden!

I thought PT was fun, too...we can be weird together. ;)