Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A moment with Ivy

Like the title of my blog, I really am trying to pause often during my day and just enjoy the moment. I try to enjoy the little things like reading books, smiles, giggles, hugs, funny conversations, etc..... I try to really live in the moment and enjoy it because I know I won't ever get that moment back. I wish I wrote down more of these moments to help me remember some day.
2 nights ago I had a really special moment with Ivy. I put her down to sleep around 7:30. She woke up (for the first time) shortly after I fell asleep around 11:30 crying. I didn't think she could be hungry yet, so I sleepily went in her room and tried to just give her her pacifier to see if she'd go back to sleep. As I fumbled in the dark to try to get the pacifier in her mouth, she rolled over onto her back and gave me a HUGE smile. I couldn't help but smile back. Then she giggled, and it took all I had to not giggle back, but my smile was still there. I put the pacifier in anyway, and she kept smiling and giggling even with the pacifier in her mouth while looking up at me. I then realized she was NOT going to just go back to sleep no matter how tired I was. So, I picked her up and decided to try to rock her for a little bit. She kept looking up at me and smiling and laughing while I tried to not make much eye contact and remained stoned face and quiet. She didn't let up. Finally, I caved. I looked down at this happy girl and started laughing out loud too. I kissed her on her head, and cheeks and told her I loved her. We then both kept looking at each other smiling and laughing (out loud) even though it was late and we should be sleeping. I had an urge to take her out of her room and bring her to the living room or my bedroom so we could play for awhile, but knew if I did that it would be hours before she would go back to sleep. I finally decided to go ahead and nurse her. She happily nursed, but kept watching me. She would pause every few seconds and smile at me, and I smiled back until she finally drifted off back to sleep. While she fell asleep nursing I thought to myself, "We are going to have a lot of fun together! We are going to be GOOD friends!"

This may sound strange, but I felt in that moment that I got a small glimpse of our future together. I pictured her much older...like in her 20's....and us just hanging out and laughing at our own inside joke. I really enjoyed that moment we shared, and it made me feel happy about what is yet to come!!

5 comments:

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Ok, that totally made me tear up! How sweet is she? You're not so bad yourself. Awww. . .

4meonly said...

That was amazing!!! Thank you for share. I too have those moments with Jordan when Dylan is sleeping and we just laugh and giggle. It's nice isn't it!

Jacque said...

Very sweet!

Alina Klein said...

Those dimples would be impossible to resist. What a special moment. :)

Cindy said...

Very cute. It seems a while back I had a few moments like this with my daughter, but that seems so long ago. Definitely cherish these moments.