Monday, August 31, 2009

D-Day!!

AKA Dairy Allergy testing Day (at our house)!!

Zayden has become completely aware and has full understanding of his dairy allergy now, especially since his baby sister CAN and does have dairy daily! He is sooo good though about not eating any dairy though even when everyone around him is eating/drinking it. He also talks about it all the time, and lately has been talking about getting tested for his allergy. He knew he grew out of his egg allergy and he was hoping to grow out of his dairy allergy too.

He was excited to go this morning, but then when we were driving there, he changed his mind and wanted to go home. He said he didn't like the doctor and didn't want to go. However, with some distraction we got there without any tears.

We go to Riley Hospital to see our Allergist, so we had to park in a garage near the hospital. Z never likes to walk, and I didn't feel like hauling the big double stroller. So, I brought my Mei Tai to wear Ivy. We parked, and I put Ivy in the Mei Tai (wearing her in front), and Z went in the small umbrella stroller I already had in my car.

We went in for our appointment, and it started a little shaky. Usually the nurses there are great and very sweet to Zayden. Today we had a nurse who was about as pleasant as a toddler going to the doctor's to get poked and prodded. Zayden got scared when we walked in to get weighed and all that, and started crying. He wouldn't get on the scale. I was trying to deal with him, and Ivy who was now in the stroller and getting upset all while the nurse was glaring at us. Zayden ended up having a huge meltdown fit, so I put him in a timeout. The nurse snapped at me that we had to hurry because the doctor would be waiting. She told me to pick him up and weigh myself with him and then without. During this whole time she was being very rude and so NOT kid friendly. I told her that Zayden was just scared, and she just looked annoyed. Ugh! I understand that not all people can understand and relate to a two/three year old and their fits, but this lady is a nurse at Riley CHILDREN'S hospital. I think someone needs a different job!! Anyway, nasty nurse marched off and told us to follow. So I try to keep up with her as I am pushing a stroller, carrying an oversized diaper bag, a scared toddler, and his shoes. Does she offer to help....um no. She just disappears. I finally find the room she went into, and walk in. She tells me the doctor will be in shortly and storms out. Luckily I didn't see her again, and everyone else was super nice to us all morning!!

Zayden played happily with his guys while we waited (which was several minutes...so much for having to rush), and Ivy and I looked at books. The doctor came in and talked to us. He was very sweet to Z, and they talked about super heroes, and all was good!!

Next a couple of other nurses came in to do the skin test on his back. They had to prick him 5 times. They wanted me to lay him on the table and hold him down, but I suggested I just hold him while they prick him, and they thought that would be fine. Z shed a couple of tears during the pricks, but recovered quickly and was ready to play right afterwards. We had to wait 15 minutes. I opened the door, and both kids decided to run up and down the hall while we waited. I let them, and they laughed and loved running around. I kept watching Z's back and I'm not an expert, but it was looking GOOD!!

After the 15 minutes the doctor came in and gave us the GREAT news!! The skin test was negative!! Zayden did not have ANY reaction to the milk or milk proteins!!!!! I was Ecstatic!! I'm still Ecstatic!! The previous 2 years he had very obvious reactions! The doctor said that we still had to get a blood test, and see what that says, and go from there. Basically it will be up to a month before we even get the results from the bloodtest, and if he does pass that too, then we have to have a dairy challenge, where he goes back and they give him dairy in a controlled environment to make sure he has no reaction. I asked the allergist if Z could have any dairy now, and he told me "NO! You have been doing so good, just don't let him have it a little longer, and if all goes well maybe he will be good for the holidays." I asked him if he could maybe even be cleared by Halloween so he could have his first Candybar, and doc said definitely if the rest of this process goes as well.

So, the doctor walked out, and I grabbed Zayden's hands and started jumping up and down and cheering!! I couldn't contain my joy nor did I want to! Zayden laughed at his silly mom and jumped a little too.

Finally, we had to go down for the bloodtest. I held Zayden in my lap while the Phlebotomist drew the blood. She was also sweet to Zayden. He cried for about a minute, and Z's very empathetic sister cried along with him!! When Z stopped crying, so did Ivy. They both got to pick out little toys, and we were ready to go home. Ivy was already in the stroller, so I threw Zayden up on my back in the Mei Tai which sure did get much attention. Zayden loved bouncing along on my back as we finally left the mean nurse, and all the poking and prodding!!

We got in the car, and he asked where we were going. I told him we were going home, and going to eat lunch. He asked what we would eat. I told him he could eat whatever he wanted, and asked what he wanted for lunch. He told me, "Dairy!" I laughed out loud and explained that he still couldn't have that today, but hopefully soon!! Hopefully VERY VERY soon!!!

Fingers still crossed, still praying, and sending out positive thoughts!!

5 comments:

Hez said...

Great news! Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Z!!!

Layla and Delia said...

Woo-hoo!!!! What fantastic news, Dawn and Zayden! I'm thrilled for you! :) :)

braun brothers said...

Yay! YAY!!!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Very very excellent news!

Tana_S_ Beautiful World said...

Sending you best wishes and prayers for all that you hope to cometh your way. God Bless....Tana