Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's just how you look at it!

There are so many moments when I don't know whether to laugh or cry, since having children! Often Zayden does something he shouldn't and I struggle to not laugh. Other times he does something he REALLY shouldn't, and I find myself getting very angry but later laughing about it!
We had one of those moments this morning, while we were running late to get out of the door, so I could get them to their grandparents and get me to my first appointment for work. Our Christmas tree is up, and Zayden is having a difficult time not messing with it. He HAD been very good, and only maybe touches or grabs an ornament once a day. He even told Brian last night when he got home, "Don't touch the ornaments!" However, I know this is difficult for Zayden because many of the ornaments look like fun "guys". I gave him a couple ornaments/guys, but I think he wants them all!
This morning Ivy oddly slept in later than Zayden, so when she woke up I left Zayden alone for a few seconds while I went to get sleeping beauty. I think Zayden saw this as his opportunity. I had just placed Ivy on the changing table, when I heard it.....the crash.....the crash that still is echoing in my head!
I grabbed Ivy and ran out into the living room, and there was Zayden looking frightened standing between the wall and where the tree used to be, holding one snowman ornament.

In that moment I was very angry. I immediately put Ivy down, and put Zayden in timeout and said something really mean, "You broke the Christmas tree. Now Santa doesn't have anywhere to put your presents." I now feel bad for saying that, as it probably crushed the poor little guy and it was just an accident. However, when I saw ornaments thrown all over the living room and had to step over broken glass to just get to Zayden I was pretty angry.

His time out (which is also a time out for me) gave me time to calm down, and I was able to hug him afterwards and tell him I love him, but remind him why he shouldn't touch the tree or ornaments.

Now that it has been a couple of hours since the incident I am already picturing it and laughing. I actually can't wait to tell this story to others, as it really is kind of funny! The image of little Z standing up against the wall with that one snowman in his hand, while the tree was on it's side and ornaments and glass were all over will be with me always, and I think it will always make me smile!

I think the best way of getting through toddlerhood is just altering how you look at things. If I can try to find the innocence and humor I think we will be okay!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up laughing over here! And I totally agree with you, we have to laugh to keep from crying sometimes. There's times Danny is misbehaving and I have to walk away or cover my face b/c I'm laughing so hard. Oh what a morning you had! I'm glad Zayden was ok and I love that you're able to make this experience into a funny story!

Alina Klein said...

Lol, Dawn, I'm not putting ornaments on our tree this year for just that reason. :) Pat's mom said that he knocked over the Christmas tree every year until he was 6 so I knew the chances were good. Lights and a string of beads is as fancy as we're getting this year. I DO wish I could see the mental picture your describing though. That would be a fun memory "snapshot" for sure. :)

starfitch said...

Oh gosh. See, it IS funny but I know it wasn't then. "Santa will have no where to put your presents." Priceless.

You know you're mad when you resort to empty threats. :-)

We've all been there, and I'll try to remember your point of finding the humor...sooner than later!

Jacque said...

It's so hard being good! A couple years ago Owen used a nutcracker (the wooden decorative kind, he was so into them that Christmas) and busted a bunch of ornaments off of my Mom and Dad's tree. Mom scolded him and he said he didn't do it, the nutcracker did. LOL

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Honestly? I think your comments were funnier than Zayden's. So awesome. Wherever will Santa put the presents?!?! LOL!!!!