Obama was here 2 weeks ago and I REALLY wanted to go see and hear him speak, but I couldn't find a sitter, and I debated for a long time on whether or not to take the kids. I finally decided to go for it the night before his rally. However the day of Ivy had to get shots, and was fussy, and it was raining. Plus I hear the traffic was crazy and Ivy hates her carseat. I disappointedly decided to not go, and was really upset of missing out!
However, yesterday I got lucky because my man, Obama, came back to Indy for another rally!! It was a work day for me so the kids were covered. I had a very light workday because it was my evaluation day, and the girl I usually do most of my evals with is on vacation! :) I only had one eval at 9:00, and he was supposed to speak at 11 at a big park/memorial downtown.
I got there right before 11, and soaked up all aspects of the rally! It was just all so cool!! There were thousands and thousands of people trying to get up as close as they could to the tiny little podium off in the distance. Everyone was happy and enthusiastic donning Obama gear! There was loud music playing that had everyone kind of bopping and dancing along while waiting for the speach. The music varied from R&B to old classics to country. I felt like I was at a concert, except there were no "funny smells" in the air!
It seemed for a moment like everyone around me was family! We were all there for the same reason and had the same hopes about our country and Obama. Everyone was just talking to the strangers beside them, and EVERYONE was super friendly and happy!
At one point I looked around and saw these guys on top of a building by the lawn all in black with binoculars looking all around at the people in the lawn. I nudged the very tall older guy beside me and asked him if he thought that was security. He said, "Why do you ask?" as he looked me up and down, "Do I need to keep an eye on you?" I cracked up laughing and couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes. He told me he was kidding which I knew, but thought that was hilarious! I felt so emotional being there in this setting, and when I was presented with some humor the emotion came out in roaring laughter with just the small joke!! :)
Obama came on stage at 12:08 and spoke for 30 minutes. I could see him when I stood on my tippy toes, and I could hear him so clearly thanks to many loud speakers! It was simply amazing listening to him speak. Much of it were things I have heard before, but I did hear and learn a couple new things. He is definitely one inspiring wonderful speaker, and I don't think there are many that can argue that! I could have listened to him speak all day!! I screamed and clapped several times while he spoke, and almost felt like jumping up and down! I have NEVER ever been so hopeful or excited about a politician....not even close!
I was sad when it was over, but still had a great sense of pride and happiness as I walked away with the large crowd. I kept smiling and clapping as I walked away, as I still felt so emotinal about it all. I ended up buying a yard sign and a button ($ goes to the campaign) on my way out. As I walked a mile to my car I talked to a couple of other people walking to their cars, and they were also SO hyped and excited!! It was an amazing experience that I will always have!!
GO OBAMA!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Subtle convincing Dawn! Alright alright, I'll GO!
I'm so glad you were able to go. Everytime I read he's in Indy, I'm so jealous of you!
Post a Comment