Sunday, November 16, 2008

I needed That!!

A good friend of mine from college has a birthday today, and she wanted Brian and I to join her and a group of our mutual friends out for dinner last night. We tried to get a sitter, but my in-laws were busy. I almost didn't go, but then decided that I should just go alone and let Brian stay home with the kids! He's gone out a few times without me since Ivy has been born, so why not!
This was the first time for Brian to put both kids to bed by himself, but it went very well! So well, that I actually have already made plans again for this coming Friday night (to go to a nieces play), and he'll get to do it again! :)
Anyway, we met for dinner last night at a great little family owned Italian restaurant. There were 9 of us altogether, and it was so great to hang out with these friends. This group of friends is a group that I hung out with ALL the time prior to getting married and having kids. I went to college with 3 of the girls, and they are all married, so their husbands were there. One of the husbands' bff, Hooper, is always part of the group too. Hooper is single, but has always been Mr. Party or Mr. Entertainer. He has a party for pretty much every occasion you can think of. Anyway we all live on the same side of town, and I have been friends with these guys for over 10 years....my girlfriends have been with their husbands for that long....Brian entered our group late (a little over 5 years ago)! :)
So, like 6-7 years ago I saw this group of friends like a couple times/week. Now, I see them all like 2x/year maybe. Sucks how some things change. I love my life now, but I have missed much of the social life I did once have! 2 of the girls, (Susan and Kristy) I still see fairly often, but only because we have kids close in age that can play together!
Last night we were at the restaurant for about 3 hours. I had a great dinner and one GREAT glass of red wine. I haven't had a glass of wine for over a year, so that tasted sooo nice! But mostly I just loved the company. I hadn't laughed so much in forever it seems! This is my "party" group....the people to hang out with when you don't want to talk about anything serious. All we did (and always do) is just joke around and talk about crazy stuff all night.
When I left last night, and went to the register to pay, the guy who took my card, said to me, "You guys sure were having a lot of fun tonight!" and then another guy came up and said, "Whenever I hear a group laughing THAT much, I just want to join in! I felt bad I was missing out on all the fun!" When they said that to me that's when it sunk it how lucky I was to have such a fun night with no worries and just laughter!
I really really really need to do this more often! As much as I LOVE being a mom, and as much as it is by far the best thing I have ever done, I miss other pieces of my life that are missing now. I want some of my old life back. That's not so bad is it? My 2 favorite people in the whole world to hang out with are my 2 kiddos, but it sure is fun to hang out with old friends sometimes too!
Today I feel rejuvenated and hopefully that makes me a better mom!!

1 comment:

Alina Klein said...

That's so awesome, Dawn. Sounds like a wonderful time. You deserve the fun!

And way to go Brian! Woo hoo to you!